Appraisal Economics is an independent business valuation company that has performed thousands of appraisals over more than 25 years. Our clients range from multi-billion dollar publicly traded companies with diverse operations to privately held, early stage companies. Often, we are engaged by law firms or private equity firms on behalf of their clients or portfolio companies. We also serve government agencies and not-for-profits. Our individual clients have included a Nobel Prize-winning economist, a former United States Secretary of the Treasury, entrepreneurs, philanthropists, and many small business owners.
We have appraised business interests and assets worldwide and even the rights to satellite orbit paths in outer space. We offer a range of services including: business valuations, complex securities valuations, intangible asset studies, goodwill impairment studies, trademark and patent valuations, real estate appraisals, and machinery and equipment valuations. We provide appraisal services for accounting, tax, litigation, and transaction-related purposes.
Our experience across industries is as wide as our range of experience across the globe. Some of our assignments have included valuations related to:
- Purchase price allocation and goodwill impairment testing for one of the premier manufacturers of highly-engineered building products.
- Solvency opinion for a defense contractor serving U.S. and foreign government agencies prior to its IPO.
- Expert witness testimony in a federal jury trial relating to the valuation of private equity interests.
- Performance awards issued as stock-based compensation for the largest REIT IPO in U.S. history.
- Satellite orbital slots and other intangible assets as part of a private equity-backed leveraged buyout of a multi-billion dollar satellite services provider.
- Equity in a medical device company for the Internal Revenue Service related to a tax dispute.
- Biomass facility in Uruguay for bank financing purposes.
- Privately held equity units of an industry-leading New York-based private equity firm with $200 billion under management.
- Fractional interests in a holding company owning several thousand bottles of rare wines stored in a historic chateau in France.
- Preferred equity of a biotech company in Phase 2 of FDA clinical trials.
- Tangible and intangible assets of an integrated paper mill in the Pacific Northwest.
Independent Valuation Experts
At Appraisal Economics, we specialize in one area — valuation. Unlike many other business valuation companies, we are independent. This means we do not engage in auditing, investment banking, or securities trading. This removes any possibility for conflicts of interest, real or perceived, and allows us to focus exclusively on the research, analysis, and reporting that meet your appraisal needs.
Founded in 1989 by alumni of Price Waterhouse and Deloitte, our team has expanded over time to include former members of accounting firms, investment banks, and equity research firms, as well as executives and engineers from a wide range of industries. Our team members have graduated from some of the best universities and have gained unique experiences from assignments around the world. We also participate in rigorous continuing education programs because we recognize that staying at the top of our field requires continual growth and development. Some members of our team have been issued a U.S. patent, held the position of chief financial officer, and achieved other high-level accomplishments before joining Appraisal Economics.
Our members hold designations and credentials from organizations such as the American Society of Appraisers, the American Institute of CPAs, the CFA Institute, and various real estate licensing boards. Our team regularly serves in officer positions for the American Society of Appraisers. Our team has authored numerous articles and lectured extensively on valuation topics, including intellectual property and power plants. We also have extensive experience providing expert witness testimony in federal, state, and tax courts, at arbitration hearings, and at Federal Communication Commission hearings. Many members of our staff have received U.S. government security clearance through the Internal Revenue Service background investigation process. This enables us to work on projects of an extremely sensitive nature.
Today we have an experienced team of appraisers, accountants, economists, and engineers that have both a deep understanding of common and complex appraisal issues, and diversified real-world experience across many industries. Our wide-ranging backgrounds and experiences allow us to view projects from multiple perspectives and deliver the best possible service to our clients. We would consider it a privilege to serve you. If you need a valuation for accounting, tax, transaction, litigation, or planning purposes, please contact us.